Friday, February 15, 2008

"F" is for...Food Friday


So I think I am going to try to talk about a new recipe on Fridays. We have been trying lots of new things at our house lately and I think this should be fun to see how our tastes change. The most recent thing we tried was Chicken Tortilla Soup. Now I must admit that I am not a big soup person, in fact Monte is really the only one I know that likes soup. We got the recipe out of the Sunday USA Today paper and the picture of the bowl of soup looked super yummy, so we had to give it a try. So I have to say this soup was AMAZING!!! I even ate it as leftovers, which I usually don't do. Here's the recipe and our family 'yum rating'.

PREP TIME: 20 Min
COOK TIME: 20 Min
READY IN: 40 Min
SERVINGS & SCALING: Original recipe yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried cumin
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (we used mexican flavored)
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
sliced avocado
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
chopped green onions

DIRECTIONS
In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.
Leftover can be frozen and can be done in the crockpot if you wish.
Out of a possible 5 'yums':
Monte rates this: (4) yums, thought it could use some more spice
JoAnn rates this: (4.5) yums, I loved the cheesy goodness and tangy flavor.
Anali rates this: (.5) yums, we are lucky she tasted the broth
Aden rates this: (1) he took several bites and ate lots of chips
Avalon is unrated in the review.
I hope you enjoyed this installment of "Food Friday". Return next week when we review a "sweet" dessert.

5 comments:

Debbi said...

JoAnn, I love soup! I have had this recipe before and it is soo yummy, I will have to make it next week and I can't wait to read more of your new recipes each friday....I've been lurking here for a while.

Unknown said...

totally dig your "yum" rating!! I can't wait to try this...I always love a good soup! :)

What a great idea to post recipes!

cshel said...

I love your Food Friday idea. And the soup sounds delish...we may have to give it a go!

Andrea said...

hey JoAnn....fun blog! its always fun to read about what everyone is up to! that looks like a yummy recipe i might have to try :)thanks

Anonymous said...

I love food Friday! I must be hungry. Can't wait to try it. I think the yum rating is so cool
Yvone